Meeting students and parents where they already are
I’ve decided that I want to meet my students and their parents at which ever major social network they are already on. Learning how to navigate and participate in the web 2.0 world will be a big part of my grade 10 science class this semester, so I’d like to start wherever they already are.
I also decided that I don’t want to waste all my time managing and posting material to a million places.
For my setup I decided to:
- choose a hashtag for the class, #gr10sci
- create a Facebook “page” for the class (with the wall shut down other than my posts, we will use other locations for our major collaborations)
- create a series of scoop.it pages for our class (in this case general science, biology, chemistry, physics/optics and climate change).
- set up IFTTT.com so that
- anytime I scoop a webpage or article to those scoop.it pages it automatically tweets out with the hashtag #gr10sci.
- anytime a tweet goes out from my account with the hashtag #gr10sci it goes to their facebook page as well
- anytime a post is made on our class blog (http://calderscience.edublogs.org) it gets tweeted with the hashtag #gr10sci (which in turn gets put to facebook as well)
Am I missing anything? Any additions? Should I be archiving in a shared Evernote folder?
Any input is appreciated. 🙂